Operation and the duration of a LED lighting depends heavily on the driver that stabilizes the current and provides thermal protection
After it management thermal of the lighting, perhaps the following point in importance in the operation of them LED, are the sources of power or drivers. Lighting LED, unlike happens with fluorescent or incandescent lighting, lighting does not connect directly to electrical power, if you do not through a driver that deals with transforming the voltage adapting it to the needs of the lighting. The LEDs work with current continuous (CC), therefore, if we want it to work on an installation of alternating current (AC) – that we have at home and in most installations – require a driver (driver) that convert AC power into DC and which in turn decreases the voltage.
Basically the LED driver performs two tasks
- Transform current. Of alternating (AC) to DC (DC)
- They adapt to the needs of the LED output voltage. Due to its low consumption LED, work with very low voltages, so a voltage high not only wouldn’t work but it would burn them for kitchen lighting, according to Itypetravel.
The current of output of an installation electric exceeds with grow them mili amps that need a LED to emit light. The driver is the charge of lowering it without wasting energy, keeping it current constant and attenuating the generation of heat. Not necessary a driver in installed in battery-operated flashlights-LEDs, the output current from a battery is very low compared to the mains.
Other data very to have in has is the sensitivity that show them LED to the alterations of current. The driver is vital to establish constant the voltage electric, what makes keep stable the flow light (intensity and color) and the temperature of the luminaire. The heat generated by the LED luminaire is a fact to keep in mind, since its proper management optimize the useful life of the LED lamp.
The driver relies heavily on the use of the electrical energy consumed by the LED lamp. A proper power supply affects the efficiency and stability of the luminaire. In addition, it will optimize LED life.
The objective of a controller LED is ensure zero loss of energy. The real use of the electrical energy consumed is measured by the value of the power factor (PFC or Power Factor Correction). If the value is equal to 1 means that all the power going to power supply takes advantage, if the value is 0.5 only half of energy is used in the conversion.
Bet by a driver of quality of manufacturers specialized as Meanwell, dilates the life useful of them luminaries LED and makes that optimize to the 100% our investment, efficiency energy and other characteristics beneficial.
Drivers internal and external. Advantages and disadvantages
In many occasions the driver is found installed in her own lamp LED and not is visible. The drivers internal, tend to be in lamps small or appliques of using domestic. LED luminaire of high power or industrial, that they consist of multiple chips, drivers are often external and regulate the power of chips at the same time; in these cases tension is regulated depending on the number of LEDs that turn on.
Advantages of the internal driver
- Quick and easy installation
- Not accurate withdraw them equipment auxiliary, just cancel them or bypass them
- Solution all-in-one, without the need of external space
- Slightly lower price
Advantage driver external
- Products of higher power and luminosity
- The installation need a smaller space internal
- If the driver reaches the end of its useful life or breaks down the replacement it is very simple and immediate.
- Luminaires in size but small
- Longer life for all components
- More versatility for maintenance
- Greater reliability.
Disadvantages of an internal driver
- Requires a space greater in the interior of the block optic of the luminaire.
- If there is excessive heat, will interrupt the operation to save the integrity of the bulb.
- Luminaries of lower power and brightness.
- For the same power, a bulb of internal driver is larger than one external driver.
- When the driver reaches the end of its useful life, it must be replaced the luminaire
Disadvantages of the driver external
- It requires free space in the compartment of auxiliary equipment to install the external driver
Industrial LED Lighting • Lighting Industrial Facilities …
2019 Yamaha YXZ1000R East Coast Trail Review
Renault Trucks Corporate
Stevie C: Roadie/Tech Blog
Timeguard’s LED Equation
MEGAMAN | Top News
Do retrofit T8 linear LED tubes live up to their …
Emergency Vehicle Light Mount Types and Color Choices
Driving at night, Off-Road.
Philips Pacific LED Gen3, WT460C, IP66, Waterproof Range
Quadra Modern LED Under Cabinet Light (WITH SENSOR)
Reduce Loading Dock Accidents With Vehicle Restraints
Want to install a LED ligts on your moto, but don’t know …
CLEARANCE: PURALIGHT® 12V LED Light Modules
Rear Laser Bike Light! Beam two LED lights to create your …
LED Recessed Lighting